Sunday, May 23, 2010

One Month Ago

A month ago, on 23rd April 2010, I so-called 'gave birth' (it was actually c-section) to my lovely twin daughters. I can never forget the journey on this day, and would love to share it with everyone.

The Early Morning

I was awaken by a nurse at 6am to get ready for the big day. I bathed, changed into the operation outfit, had my hair tucked into the operation cap, removed all foreign items and lie on my bed, waiting to be pushed into the next level. 2 nurses then came at about 7am and asked me if I was ready. As I was being transported from my room, I was praying for a smooth procedure. Hubby followed and I was starting to get nervous. First stop - anesthetic room.




The Epidural

I hurt my back a couple of years ago and the pain has always been there. The thought of having a needle injected into my spinal sends shivers down my spine. I was asked to sit up, hold on to a pillow and bend forward. It was quite a long procedure. I do not know what was being done behind me and I was only told that everything is going well. I could feel liquid dripping down my body - was it blood? I was so quiet that the anesthetist, Dr. Damo asked me to say something. I said: "I am shivering". I felt hot from my buttocks onwards and find it difficult to move my feet. The nurse and doctor moved me back onto the bed. I am now numb from waist down onwards.

I finally saw my hubby in a hospital attire and I knew he was cheering me up by asking me; "How do I look?". Then, the moment came. They pushed me into the operating theater and asked my hubby to wait in the anesthetic room.

The Operating Theater

Not a good place to be. Bright lights, cling-clang sounds of the equipments and I could see 2 incubator stations labelled "TWIN I" and "TWIN II". I was relieved to see my gynae, Dr. Raman and also Dr. Kiren there. As usual, doctor asked me how am I feeling. I could not answer. I am shivering more and more and I'm unsure if it's because I was cold, scared or was it the epidural effect.

The situation was getting tense for me. I thought they were starting to operate on me and shouted: "where's my husband?" Someone told me he will be in here soon, and he finally came and sat next to me. A drape was placed in front of me - however, I could see everything through the reflection from the operating lights above me. Dr. Raman was holding a scapel on my belly and shouted "Can you feel this, Aigie?". I closed my eyes and answered "Feel what? No."

JENG JENG JENG JENG!!!

It was so noisy in the operating theater as I was told there was an extra team there because of twins. Things happened so quickly. My hubby was holding me tight as I was shivering intensely. Then doctor told my husband "Ok come... it's time." My husband stood up and as doctor pulled TWIN I out from my cut-up womb, my hubby shouted "Baby ah!!!" I heard some suction sound and then.... the cries from my TWIN I. My baby was out! I cried! OMG! I cannot describe the feeling that I had when I heard her first cry. Very quickly, TWIN II was pulled out and I immediately felt my tummy flattened.. like 'wooshh'. Then, all I heard was baby cries in the operating theatre and noise of doctors doing something with me.


Baby Suelyn

Baby Kaelyn


I was looking around but could see nothing, only sound and noise all over. Through reflections, I could see doctor pulling out something from me... maybe it's the placenta, I'm not sure. I looked away from the graphic scene. Not knowing whats happening around me, I could see hubby running here and there as he was taking pictures.

Both babies were brought to me and the first thing being shown to me was their pet-pet - to confirm that they are girls. I was allowed to kiss my babies before they are being whisked away to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).



In less than 1/2 hour, the entire procedure was over. My hubby followed the girls and I was left alone in the operating theater for the final touches. Dr. Damo gave me a shot that made me relax and reduced my shivering. 3 small cysts was being removed from my uterus at the same time. I was half asleep by this time and felt really good and relaxed. Should have given me that shot earlier!!

After I was all being stitched up, I was being brought into a 'rest' area where they monitored my temperature and blood pressure before sending me back to my room. I never saw my babies that day as I was too tired and unable to get off from the bed.

An unforgettable journey. Both babies spent 3 weeks in NICU and are now back at home, both doing well. More pictures available on FB and I will blog about life in NICU once I have time.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow this is amazingly beautiful! thanks for sharing. Abundance of good blessings to u and ur family:)

Unknown said...

very touching story....It's so great being a mother. happy to hear that both Suelyn and Kaelyn are doing well:)

mun said...

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that all three of you are fine. May you and your spouse enjoy your parenthood thoroughly! You both have come a long way and both of you are indeed blessed to have these two lovely princesses.

Life With Twins said...

wow .... being a mother is great .Now i know what happen in the operating room now . In UH, i have to wait outside in the hall .

Maverick SM said...

Purple,

Congratulations for beautiful twins. God bless you and your family. You'll have great time with your kids.

LionGirl said...

Glad to find you while you are celebrating your twins entry into your life! Congratulations! Beautiful babies!

Anonymous said...

glad everything when well for you and the new born, once again congratulation and happy mothers days to you

zewt said...

glad to know that your journey from the very first day came to a beautiful end... see, it all turned out well.

Carrie McGorgeous said...

dearie...this is so so touching. your story made me tear. tears of joy for you and for knowing that there's hope. remember you were worried about your pregnancy? well, God is here for you and your babies. Remember that you are blessed. love.