NICU – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the word often heard on tv series such as Private Practice and even Grey’s Anatomy. I read from books that it wasn’t a good sight in this unit. The first time I went into NICU, I was being pushed in a wheel chair by Hubby as my incision area was still a little painful. It wasn’t that scary afterall. But the moment I saw my twins, I could not help but cry. They were so tiny and yet, tubes were inserted at their mouth and hands. They must have cried during the insertion, they must have been in pain. For the first couple of days, a headbox was placed to supply them with more oxygen. I could see Kaelyn was breathing heavily, grasping for air with each breath due to her immature lungs.
Twin I - Suelyn
Kaelyn's reading
This is what NICU looks like
Headbox being placed for oxygen supply
Really heartache seeing my babies like this
Each day, the nurses will take some blood sample from them to test the bilirubin level for jaundice. They must be crying when blood was taken from their feet. The worse is when the bilirubin level was high enough to warrant a treatment. Their eyes will be bound and they will be placed under the photolight. My concern was the eye binder get loose, exposing their eyes to the dangerous rays. The nurses there had to take care of so many babies that there isn’t any special attention paid to any particular babies.
For the first 3 weeks of my confinement period, I went to the hospital on a daily basis and I could just sit there for 3-4 hours just looking at my babies. They are really fragile especially during the first week. I used to hold their tiny little hands and encourage them. I always tell them that Mummy love babies, babies have to be strong and very soon Mummy will be able to bring babies home. It hurts me very much when I see them smile at me and I cannot be there with them all the time.

My poor baby...
As days passed, baby Kaelyn was the first to be cup fed. They had to train her to swallow, before giving her the bottle for sucking. I was also there to breastfeed Kaelyn while Suelyn was still unable to be breastfed. I felt bad as Kaelyn took all the good stuffs. Even my expressed colostrum was all given to Kaelyn and Suelyn had none. I wonder if this is the reason she seems smaller and more fragile now, or if she thinks Mommy doesn’t care so much for her. Not true darling, Mommy care for both her precious babies.

Suelyn still able to put on a smiley face in the incubator

Kaelyn in the open incubator

Suelyn in the closed incubator

Kaelyn being cup fed

Me cuddling Kaelyn
Kaelyn was also the first to be promoted to the bassinet on day 12, where her body was put to test if she could maintain steady oxygen intake and able to maintain her body temperature. Suelyn only got on to the bassinet on day 18.

Kaelyn moved on to the bassinet on day 12

I bottle fed Kaelyn

Suelyn finally moved on to the bassinet on day 18

Both babies in the bassinet
After the long wait, both babies were finally discharged from NICU at the same day - on day 21. In fact, my fear was that Kaelyn will be discharged earlier than Suelyn. I hate to think that Suelyn will be left alone in NICU. Thank God doctor gave both of them a clean bill of health and they could both come home together. I was really happy but at the same time nervous, not knowing if they would do well at home or if I could do a good job taking care of them.
Things are going on pretty well. Here are pictures of my babies taken last week. Seems like they know that they are home and being pampered by everyone. They are getting naughty, sometimes, refusing to sleep at night.

Baby Suelyn

Baby Kaelyn

Suelyn & Kaelyn
My expensive babies. Each day, it cost us around RM1,500 per baby. They were there for 3 weeks. You do the math. I will keep all receipts to show them when they grow up. Anyway, all of us in the family thinks that it is just a small price to pay, as long as both of them return home healthy and good.
5 comments:
Price is not important. Most important is the babies are healthy
You are a stronger person now having gone through these. Both your babies are so precious. Suelyn's smile is so sweet. May both of them grow healthy and bubbly.
hey babe, am so glad all 3 of u get through this safely!!!
So, can you tell which one is which one? Are they really 99% alike? I look at their pictures i feel one of them looks bigger, but the face really look alike. Any trouble recognizing them?:>
Too bad lah, i cannot be there to celebrate full moon. Hope to see you all soon.... (dunno where... sigh)
AG, you are great , your babies are great ! Jane
Ganbate... Like u said, price is nothing, most important is your babies' health.
Post a Comment