Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hk Trip - May Holidays

I left Shanghai on 30th evening on flight FM811 to Hong Kong, the same day that the H1N1 infected Mexican stepped foot into HK via Shanghai. Thank God I wasn’t in the same flight as him. But the fact that he was there at the airport before me sends chills down my spine.

I was alone coz Nicole and EC had arrived a day earlier. I checked into hotel and just a few minutes after, I met them with KK at the lobby. We went for a western dinner at Harbour City near Avenue of Stars.


After dinner, we went for a walk along the Avenue of Stars. HK was windy and chilly at night. We had a couple of drinks at a pub where I ordered… hot milk! Needed that to ease my stomach from the up and coming gastric which I could feel it coming. Glad I had milk.


The first night at hotel was bad. I couldn’t sleep. I wasn’t comfortable with the room. The air-cond vent was hitting directly to my head and the pillow was not comfy. Had the room changed the following day and I had no trouble sleeping after that.

On May 1st, I woke up early and went for a morning walk with Nicole down Temple Street, which was just opposite our hotel. We had a very local breakfast at a small stall selling dim sum.

After breakfast, we met the guys at Central and headed to Stanley Market. OMG! Because it was Labor day, this place was full of Filipinos and we wondered how and when did we land in Philippines??

We took some pictures.

My first shopping... bought a cheap and good shopping bag as I forgot to bring one. Needed that to keep stuffs.


It was really hot at daytime in HK.. feels like 30 degrees or so. We had a couple of group shots, good thing EC bought a tripod for this trip! Here are some pictures taken at Stanley Beach.


After a tiring walk, we had a truly satisfying break at a café where we had ice cream, nachos and beer.


Next stop, we went to Yung Kee. KK mentioned that this place if famous for it's roast duck and ordered one. It was good but very expensive. Couldn't tell if it was really worth that price. But it was a good meal.

After Stanley Beach, we went back to Central and spent some time shopping at IFC mall.

Took the ferry from HK Island back to Kowloon. We went back to hotel to freshen up before heading back to the Avenue of Stars for a simple dinner.

EC wanted to try out his tripod and we spent hours at Avenue of Stars experimenting with camera and taking pictures.


We were happily taking group photos when suddenly....

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.



LOOK!!! What's up there!!?? It's a plane... it's a bird... it's ..... 4 stooges doing donkey poses in the public!!


KK, if you're reading this, can you tell me what are you trying to do here??


Before calling it a day, we went to Lan Kwai Fong for a drink. Nothing really special here and I still prefer Xintiandi at Shanghai.

Day 2 was really bad for me. HK govt raised the severity of H1N1 from serious to emergency because of the confirmed first case. Service industries have everyone wearing mask and antiseptic hand gel was sold off instantly.

Here's the story that really got me agitated. We woke up early and had breakfast at a nearby char chan teng.



Then I accompanied Nicole to Wong Tai Sin.


Waited a while for her while she paid her respect to Wong Tai Sin. After that, we left Wong Tai Sin and headed back to hotel MTR Jordan station. This was when Nicole realised she left her sunglasses at Wong Tai Sin. Ok... went back all the way there to get it and thank 'Wong Tai Sin' it was found. That was the first case which left me very tired and annoyed. Luckily Nicole paid for my chee cheong fun later... ok, that made up her mistake of leaving the sunglasses back there!


Second, KK sent me a SMS informing of change of plan. The SMS did not reach me and we ended up at Causeway Bay at 3pm waiting for the guys who obviously did not turn up. Waste of time again! We end up spending time walking around Times Square aimlessly. By the time we met them for dinner, I was already darn tired. We had a good dessert though, but at that time, everyone ended up looking like this:


Seriously! We're not wearing this for fun!! HK was like in a panic mode. Geezz!



I really don't know how to describe my HK trip. I had fun, but at the same time, troubled feelings. Troubled by the recent first H1N1 case in Asia. The fact that my Hubby's in Texas bothers me even more.

I really hope this Swine Flu does not spread any further. It did spoil my holiday mood in a way :(
Overall, I had a lot of fun being with my friends especially on day 1. Special thanks to KK for spending his time with us over the holiday weekend!

5 comments:

Elizebeth D.L. said...

hehehe... you guys wear mask in restaurants also? the look is so "ultraman"! hahaha:)

great photos taken!

cheeliew said...

Haha - sabar la sikit - ur fren nicole didn't left her glasses there on purpose right?

A Gust of Wind said...

hi, i really quite jealous of looking into ur blog. as a malaysian, u really get to travel to lot of places... quite a blessing

Ah Hong said...

Nice night scenery!!!

jam said...

So daring you are, visiting HK during the H1N1 period!