
Today, around 2pm, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hits Chengdu, Sichuan. This quake sent tremors to Beijing and Shanghai.
I felt dizzy when Winston buzz me... asking me if I felt anything. At that time, I really felt it and I immediately sent an email to Nicole and Elizebeth DL asking them if they felt it. After a few moments, my phone rang and Elizebeth DL told me she is on her way home as her office block has evacuated everyone. Her office building was shaking! A while later, Nicole called me and told me her building has evacuate everyone as well and she is going home while Winston told me the same thing but he was downstairs standing, walking around and that many of his colleagues went shopping instead. Hahaha.
I was at level 10 and the tremor was just a slight one. People from higher level went out from the building. My boss went down to 'pat' and he came back with an insurance agent's namecard. People are taking this opportunity to sell insurance... WTF!
It was reported that there is going to be another quake tonight between 10-12am. Nicole says she better wear a bra to sleep tonight, just in case anything happen, she can just run out. I think I better wear a bra to sleep as well... and place my passport somewhere where I can grab easily. Hahaha!
With 3 months away from the Beijing Olympics, and so many happenings near Chengdu (the recent T*bet case) and now earthquake, seems like Mother Nature is very unhappy.
.


7 comments:
a lot of atheletes are already withdrawing from the games claiming that the city is too pulluted. china can have all the money and ppl... but there are just some things they cannot change.
Glad that u there is ok. I saw the news on CNN & BBC, it was so bad.
OMG!!!!! take care okies!!!! just keep urself aware of anything!! esp when u sleep!! put ur passport n important stuffs in ur pockets! ;)
take care!!!!!
my head was still spinning after I got home. So dizzy.
I went home, switched on tv, of the many local channels (my tv has about 70 channels), only CCTV-News channel is broadcasting the news, but kept on saying "no update because phone line was down", til 7pm. After that we gave up and just watched DVD movie. This morning turn on TV again, and realized some schools fell down, and hospital collapsed in that area. So poor thing. Many casualties I supposed.
anyway, my passport (and hubby's too, I secretly took his) was in my handbag last night too. If anything I will just run with my handbag.
I forgot to mention, they were still broadcasting in a big way about their 火炬传递 yesterday evening after the event!!! Can you believe it? So ignorant lah~~~~ Or is it that channel did not get the news there was earthquake??
Our office is considering giving up the company-paid company trip in June, donate that money (we have 300 USD sponsored by company for the trip) to the red-cross to help out that area. We all agree this is a good idea.
I was passing through that area almost every day last year during my trip to Jiuzhaigou. Scary!!!
Aren't you in Shanghai? Isn't it some distance from Sichuan?
How's the situation now?
Post a Comment