Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OMG!!

Today, we have a monthly department meeting. Something changed in this meeting today as most of us fell asleep each time we have this meeting running for 3 hours. My boss has decided to time each presenter a max 10 mins to update on the job and also to add on the fun, we need to present something funny. Each person will then cast a vote on who they think is the best presenter.

I did an interesting slide and my presentation won the best presentation. The reward was RMB150 cash. But that is not my main story. I wanted to blog about the topic from one of my colleague which I think is the best and which left me jaw-drop!



Last week, my colleague, Jason, went to a bank to perform fund transfer via ATM. This bank is one of China’s largest bank. As he inserted his bankcard into the ATM, something happened on that machine and his card was stuck inside. Inside the ATM vestibule was a phone. He picked up the phone and lodged a complaint. Here is the conversation, in mandarin:

Jason: The ATM ate my card. It’s not functioning.
Customer Service: Can you try to switch the ATM machine off, then on again.

At this point, I was like: WTF??? Switch the ATM Off and On????

(Jason looked at the back of the ATM and didn’t see any switches)

Jason: There is no switch.
Customer Service: Then no choice. You come back tomorrow when the bank is open to get your card.

Upon hanging up, Jason was thinking whether the switch was hidden behind and decided to push the ATM aside. Yes… he pushed the machine aside! Voila!!!! The on/off switch was indeed behind. He did exactly what he was told and switches the machine off, and on.

When the machine was turned on, on the screen, he could see MS Windows start up and some application appeared. Jason, being an IT guy, played with the application using the arrow keys available on the ATM keypad. My jaw dropped as I continue hearing what he has to say.

Without password or whatsoever, he could access the last transaction, the transaction history on the machine etc etc. WTF????? This is bloody lousy bank security! He continued to click on the last transaction and saw his own card number appeared. Guess what he did next? He clicked on the ‘Cancel last transaction’ button. Once he did that… pops!!! VOILA AGAIN!!! His bankcard was ejected from the machine!!!! Then, he exits and the click on something which made the screen switched to the normal ATM screen which we see. He inserted his bankcard and successfully did the fund transfer.

He presented this for discussion. I was shocked!!! I cannot believe that the customer service actually asked him to switch the machine off and on!

OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!
.

13 comments:

Maverick SM said...

That's interesting! China ATM machine are user-friendly, isn't it?

In China, nobody steals money from ATM; they steal from the bank.

Va:L said...

whuahahaha.....Maverick is right! The machine is user friendly. And the trust is always there, I meant the bank trust the customer.

Huei said...

HAHAHAHHAHA

KENG!!!

ask him teach teach..can withdraw money wan ar? i mean..not ur own money =P hehehehh

Shopaholicfern said...

wah...that's super cool. really good one..wah, then other people's transaction also can see, got record one ah?
this is the first time i hear stuff like this...maybe only in china? hahahahahaha...

pisang goreng 115,NF said...

not my jaw drop
my pants drops also.......

what next?

withdraw money but gold brick comes out?

Unknown said...

I pengsan!

lovie said...

They're not afraid of losing money? =D

Horny Ang Moh said...

Wah laueh! ATM can switch on & off wan arrr??? So what is ur presentation? Have a nice day!

ahnam said...

wuahahaha..hilarious .. I sometimes imagine there's actually someone working behind the machine, stupid thought though. This 1 is real geng cou, salute Chinese gao gao, what a user friendly machine, and very informative customer service.

Elizebeth D.L. said...

nothing surprises me anymore in China...

Anonymous said...

Hey..can we try it in Malaysia ah...Have to look for the on/off switch...

Carrie McGorgeous said...

OMG!! You've gotta be kidding gal!

I still cannot believe that this is true. I hope this ONLY happens in China. Oh man!

Imagine if some IT expert were to punch in some magical codes, and viola! they can withdraw money from other ppl's acct. Jiaklat big time!

Anonymous said...

wah lao...!! liddat oso can ah...><