Monday, April 28, 2008

The Children of Huangshi

Last night, I watched 2 movies. Cloverfield and The Children of Huangshi.

Cloverfield was scary because you could place yourself in such situation and freak out a bit. It was being shot like a documentary or live video but this show is without ending. We just know that the owner of the video cam died, but we do not know what happened to NY or the alien. I guessed all hapus in the end!

Then I watched The Children of Huangshi. This is a terrific movie. I love it. It makes me wonder if I was born in the era of war, where will I be, what will I do and how will I protect my family.


It's a touching movie, inspired by true life events, about how an Englishman, George Hogg, lead and struggle to save a group of orphaned children during the Japanese occupation in China. The saddest part was in the end, when he died of sickness after he had successfully brought the children thousand of miles across the mountain to safety.

In the end of the movie, a lot of old men commented on their experience with Hogg. These old men are the orphans whom Hogg saved during the wartimes. They are all around 70-80 years old now. What they described in the end is truly touching. It really made me wonder how a person can sacrifice his own comfort at home to come to this land called China and help those in need.

Very good movie, highly recommended.
.

2 comments:

Maverick SM said...

How's your neighbour?

Any more cries? Need help?

Li Mei 's first blog said...

i thought is T not 'D'ulan !