Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spot the Difference

My Hubby got a fake RMB10 note. I believe he got this from some taxi drivers during the late nights. Most of the Shanghainese taxi drivers knew very well that we will not check the money being changed, especially during late nights when all we want is to quickly get into a shelter away from the cold weather. We tried to re-use it but everyone refused to accept it.

Here it is; the picture does not really show the apparent differences. But this is what I noticed about the fake one:


  1. The fake note is slightly blurry. (Not my hands shaking while capturing photo. Camera was placed on the table)
  2. The paper quality is almost the same as the genuine note. It has a crisp touch.
  3. The color is a bit out, as there are some red spots all over the fake note.
  4. It has a very obvious watermark, maybe too obvious that it looked fake.
  5. It also has a security thread interwoven in the paper.
  6. … much more but don’t know how to explain..

I am not surprised with this fake encounter though, as fake Chinese yuan are all over the place. I have read in Shanghai Expat forums that some guys have fake RMB100 and USD100 bills which are actually withdrawn from the banking counter in Bank of China! I don’t know what to comment about this, but it does tell us something, doesn’t it?

.

2 comments:

Elizebeth D.L. said...

Shit, I can't even tell which one is fake in your photo...

You are lucky it is just a RMB 10 note. Sigh... anything can happen these days.

Huei said...

wow! yea i couldn't see any difference between those 2 notes as well! only the color's abit off