Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Eye


Few weeks ago, I watched the movie The Eye. Remember the HK version starring our very own Angelica Lee Sin Jie, where she won best actress for this movie? The version that I watched was the US version, starring Jessica Alba. I don't know why but when Hollywood tries to remake any HK or Japan hit movie or horror movies, they seemed to have failed.

The Departed, which is a remake of HK's very famous Infernal Affairs (无间道) failed miserably. That's my opinion. That movie is just bad. Perhaps I kept comparing it to the originals when I was watching it. The same thing it is for The Eye. This US version is not at all scary. Here is why:
  • Jessica Alba stays in a very modern apartment, and the surrounding is not at all scary. Angelica Lee stays in a old, rundown flat in HK, and the surrounding itself is eerie.
  • The boy who lost his report card - there is something not right about this little boy. He is just not sending chills across. No scary. Maybe it's the bright apartment effect.
  • Remember the famous lift scene, where Angelica could see the reflection of the ghost? Jessica's lift was so modern, that it doesn't feel scary at all.
  • Somehow the hospital was not scary too... again, they made it too modern.
  • They changed the part where Angelica saw a ghost licking the roasted duck in the Chinese restaurant. This was replaced with Jessica in a cafe, with a ghost storming through her (similar to the the part where Angelica was learning calligraphy, and a woman spirit stormed through her). Now this is the only part where I thought it was the scariest.
Overall, this movie truly lacks creativity and everything comes from the original HK version. Jessica Alba should not have taken this role. It's just awful. I truly think that US Hollywood should stick back to their original horrors such as What Lies Beneath, Sixth Sense and The Others. Those who have seen the original movie should stay away from this one!
.

No comments: