Friday, May 11, 2007

I Don't Understand...Why?

This morning, while in the subway heading to work, I came across another 2 incidents which I really do not understand why the people here practice it.

A girl was quarrelling with her bf over the phone and she was speaking so loudly that I think the everyone in the carriage could hear. Wah... she really fierce! Goodness, don't we wanna keep all these confidential conversation to ourselves? Why can't she feel the shame???


This incident then reminded me of another which I encountered last month. Same thing... a guy was talking on the phone with his gf... and he was asking her things like.. "so now.. you choose me or him?".. stuffs like that. This is really not the first or second time I encounter this in Shanghai. I don't know what these people are thinking, but I think its rather rude to shout so loud over the phone in a public area and its rather shameful to have the whole world listening to your conversation.

The second incident that happened this morning: A man from the end of the carriage shouted! I thought what he was shouting about and I was thinking that it must be another chinese quarrels starting. But it's not. He was actually talking to another person who was standing like... 15 or 20 feet away?? What??? Why can't he walk over and speak to that person? And that person actually responded and shouted back his answer... it was in Shanghainese so I couldn't understand what they were saying. Damn! What on earth are these people thinking???


Now that I have mentioned, few weeks ago, I saw a girl in the subway. She was using a blackberry phone... something like that. She was wearing a long skirt. And you know what she wore on her feet? I think it was something like our fluffy, furry, slippers that we used to wear at home. It was pink! I was asking my hubby: Did she forgot to change the slippers on her way out, or did she wore this as a fashion???

She was wearing slippers like this!

Don't you think people in China are weird??

5 comments:

Elizebeth D.L. said...

I also encountered few incidents like this:

1) a girl, I think very angry at the bf, throw the umbrella hard hard onto the floor, almost hit me some more. After she throw, she run away. The boy chasing after her. I think she was crying. This happened in subway entrance. Sounds like Korean drama right?

2) an ah pek, I think from north part of china. He spoke so loud over the phone while waiting for subway, the whole 6 carriages waiting area can hear his conversation so clearly. But, none of the people there gave him a weird look, except me. I think it is normal to them??

3) ah ah ma, wearing the small flowers thingy pyjamas to carrefour and shopping mall, with her hair in curly shaped thingy, and, slipper. I almost puke.

Aiyah, I can spend whole day here typing my experience. This is so normal to them. But to us, is a cultural shock.

zewt said...

since you said you like it there in SH... you shouldnt find them weird....

so... am i going to see you in those pinky slippers shouting at the phone and talking to a buy at the next carriage at the same time? :P

Huei said...

har?? wear those slippers out? i think she probably forgot to change! lol

i encountered one in the LRT..the girl was talking on the phone..with the speaker on..it's like she was showing off to the people around her that she has friends...mmm

Purple~MushRooM said...

Huei: Hahaha... my ex-boss once talked with her speakers on.. and she didn't even realised it. Bodoh! Hahahaah.

Zewt: I like it here doesn't mean that I like the people here. And more importantly doesn't mean that I have to be like them. I am civilised!

zewt said...

the beauty and danger of the human species... the ability to blend... or the instinct to blend...